Thursday, October 1, 2009

Holiday time

I am writing this knowing that my bus to airport is leaving in 8 hours. Finally it is time to relax without any deadlines or work pressure for some time.

My internship at P&G was extended to September and my last work day was actually last Tuesday of the month. This changed my plans a bit and planned two week vacation at the end of August before beginning my graduation thesis was canceled. I enjoyed my internship, and especially the people who I worked with. However, my plans are wide open for the next spring as I first have to finish my thesis that hasn’t really even started yet. I hope that upcoming holiday and chats, or “linjaukset” as we call it in Finnish, with my travel buddy Tero will help to make good decisions for the future.

September was one of the hardest working months that I’ve had. Too many compulsory tasks fit into too little time is a good description of the month. I don’t want to work 18 hour days in a row but the fault is mine as no one forced me to book a month holiday in fall period…

Getting back to one of my main goals for the summer that was running a marathon below 3:30. Well, I couldn’t make it. But to my defense I tried my best. My training after Stockholm Marathon went perfectly and I ran easily 15k jogs with full speed. However, just two weeks before the start my legs started to feel numb and even walking hurt. I tried to rest but it didn’t seem to help and finally I had to see a doctor on a marathon day. He said that running was up to me and I decided to give a go.

Marathon went alright despite of my both calves cramping from 10k, and I was way ahead of my time goal. Than after around 33k my both calves and thighs cramped hard at the same time that continued until the end. Those 9 kilometers were one of the slowest in my life as I knew I could run faster but my legs wouldn’t let me do it. I’ve always considered marathon more like a mental thing. But now I finally learned the hard way that also the muscles and training need to be in order to be able to run fast. Result was my own record 3:37:53 but I know that at least 15 minutes could easily have taken from it. Since the marathon (7 weeks) I haven’t been able to run as I was diagnosed with strain injury but hopefully soon it’s time to do leg sports again. Bytheway, we were eight guys that ran the marathon together and all of us got to a finish line. Two marathon rookies, Mikko and Jussi, even ran it below 4 hours that is an excellent accomplishment. Looking forward to see even more friends join next year!

I’m really looking forward to holiday. Knowing me and Tero we won’t totally relax as action and seeing new things are always welcomed. I just counted that I will have 12 flights and around 4000 kilometers in a car ahead of me but just letting go of my computer for a while will do the thing. I’m flying to Seattle via Amsterdam where we’ll directly continue to Yellowstone national park with Tero’s two friends from Canada and Maarit from Helsinki School of Economics who I randomly met at Kaivohuone terrace in Helsinki. After quick chat we found out that we’ll be in same region at the same time and now she’ll join us. Small world indeed. From there we’ll head back to Vancouver where Tero is working. Than the journey continues to Texas, Panama and who knows where. I bet it will a real adventure but more about it in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment