Friday, December 11, 2009

The best airlines in the world

I have to admit that I like flying and hanging around at the airports. I also do fly a lot and for instance I counted that in 2008 I flew 35 flights, so far the balance for 2009 is 18 flights, and I’ve already booked 14 flights for year 2010. Of course businessmen fly more but these flights have mostly been on entertainment purpose. I also find airline industry really fascinating even some business models in the industry I just can’t understand.

Starting from the basics it should be expensive to fly when you consider all the people part of your flying experience. There are internet server providers, customer service, travel agents, security personnel, baggage people, air traffic controllers, flight attendants, pilots, plane manufacturers, mechanics, etc.

However, we can still fly return intercontinental flights for few hundred bucks and continental flights even for free. That doesn’t make sense and something in the industry needs to be wrong as only few airlines make profit.

One problem is that even the smallest nation needs to have its own airline that builds up competition. In addition many airlines receive heavy compensation from its government that distorts competition. I could predict that many airlines will go bankrupt in upcoming years before prices start to hike. Nowadays the only ones making the profit in the industry seem to be the airport operators and high-wage pilots. In order to cut costs and build synergies a trend has been mergers proved by latest KLM-Air France, Delta-Northwest and British Airways-Iberia mergers.

One thing that I have never understood. How is it still possible that the flights departing from or arriving to the USA mostly take two 50 pound luggages in cargo as for all other flights it’s usually the maximum of one luggage of 20 kg (45 pounds)? There must be some damn good lobbyist in the States… That extra 20 kg per passenger for aircraft capacity of 300 people really builds up the costs with current oil prices.

I could debate about the industry forever but now on to my favorite that is a ranking. Below the best and the worst airlines that either I’ve flown with or many of my acquaintances have talked about.

The best in class:

1. Etihad Airways (the national carrier of U.A.E)
Excellent service, fast transit airport in Abu Dhabi, good food selection, and beneficial frequent flyer program Etihad Guest that for instance includes home transportation. Etihad creates you a feeling of a superstar even in economy class. Sponsoring Ferrari race team and Chelsea Football Club.


2. Virgin Atlantic (British airline, 49% owned by Singapore Airlines)
I highly admire Sir Richard Branson and his airline has really done its job. The only UK airline able to resist British Airways’ dirty tricks in the 90s. Superb service, different and thus relaxing atmosphere. One doesn’t get bored on Virgin flights and it fulfills its promises.

3. Emirates (the national airline of Dubai, U.A.E)
The best in-flight entertainment that for instance includes UK billboard charts from the 60s, hundreds of on-demand movies and audio channels, language training in 10 languages, and compatible dock for Apple’s iPod. Young, international and energetic crew. Dubai one of the best transit airports in the world containing cheap tax-free shopping. Emirates bonus is the ease of a few night stopover in adult Disneyland Dubai. The official sponsor of FIFA World Cup. Planning for IPO in near future.


4. Singapore Airlines
The best fleet in the globe, good customer service and one of the best airports in the world. One of the only airlines making constant profit. SA has the longest non-stop scheduled passenger route from New York (Newark) to Singapore taking little less than 19 hours.

5. Air Berlin (the second largest airline in Germany)
Low-cost prices, but good service. I’ve flown almost ten flights with Air Berlin each one priced around 50 euros and I still feel like in a normal airline. Normal reservation system and luggage rules, free sandwiches and efficient service. Only downsize that flights always transit via Germany comparing to many other low-cost airlines.

The worst in class:


1. Cebu Pacific Air: (Philippine-based low-cost airline with international destinations in Southeast Asia.)
16 flights out of which 2 cancelled and 11 delayed. Do I need to continue? Never book many flights with a company before trying. Cheap but horrible customer service. I especially feel anger towards the customer representatives on the call centre with whom I had the privilege to chat for many hours during my stay in the Philippines.

2. Delta-Northwest, Continental and most other American airlines
No offense but considering great service level in the USA, the airlines are really an exception. Bad customer service and food, old and weary crew, a lot of delayed and cancelled flights.

3. KLM-Air France:
So average it hurts. Nothing special but I still jump into it often because of cheap prizes and Schippol airport in Amsterdam.

Special recognition: Royal Nepal Airlines (currently: Nepal Airlines)

During the 45-minute domestic flight from Biratnagar to Kathmandu they served a sandwich and a soft drink, tea and a cake, sweets, raffled three free flights (odds are pretty good in 50-seater plane), and a pilot worked as a tourist guide pointing out the highest peaks of the Himalayas. Unbelievable!


I have excluded a Finnish national carrier Finnair from this “survey” as I’m a bit biased towards it. I’m happy to hear criticism or endorsement for my picks. Which airline do you love or hate?

- Mikael

2 comments:

  1. First of all what an amazing topic! I haven't flown as much as you, but this year I think I will hit about 23 flights. During these times I have also wondered both the business and ranking aspects. But you had so good points in the economical things that I will only comment on other things.

    -My 1st would be Virgin, but I haven't used Etihad yet. Virgin is just like Apple with computers. Simple, yet innovative.
    -I can agree with Air Berlin being a top class cheap-carrier. I have now also had positive experiences with Air Asia that is still a bit worse than Air Berlin.
    -Totally agree with the North American carriers. I'm a large supporter of strict weight rules for both luggage and people. One should pay extra for extra kilos. You don't have to be a nihilist about few grammes but 20 extra kilos per person is a lot.
    -KLM is not good, but I wouldn't put it in the lowest pack. Average, but not bad.
    -Finnair is not very good. Surprisingly unorganized and the old staff is pretty grim. But I have heard good things about their Asian flights (HEL-BKK flight seems to make most of their money) and the Airbus kicks ass. A power plug for your notebook in economy - luxury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I totally agree with Tero, what an amazing topic! Sorry I didn't post earlier but here is my personal list of world's best airlines (goes quite hand in hand with yours)

    1. Etihad

    Simply the best! Best planes, best service and the package includes all you need. Once I flew from Abu Dhabi to Frankfurt and because of the delay of some previous flight from Asia, there were only 6 of us in a plane with a staff of at least 20 persons. I got the best personal service ever!

    2. Virgin Atlantic

    I thought this would be a typical low-fare airline with low service, but I was quite wrong. The quality is above overall although the price from London to New York was fairly cheap. Nothing to complain about.

    3. Ryanair

    Most of the airlines are neither luxory (differentiated) nor cheap (cost-effective), they are stuck in the middle. Ryanair is the exception to the rule. I highly appreciate the way it works and the role it has taken in Europe to enhance the competition in flight business. Not only it's cheap, but the main thing is that it's main service processes works better than it's "higher class competitors'".

    The worst airline experience was in the Caribbean when we took a flight from Curacao to Aruba with a 8-seat plane. Damn, I was afraid of Hurrigane or even a blow of wind. The plane was at least 20+ years old, the captain didn't look like a pilot and yes, you really could feel all the ups and downs of flying. Luckily we are alive!

    ReplyDelete