Monday, March 2, 2009

Health – such a valuable gift


In general I have been really healthy all my life. I’ve only been through two surgeries, one to my throat and another when a tumor was taken out from my sinus. During one year of military service I was only sick for 3 days despite of many nights without sleep and active life.

To my health conception this is due to my interest in sports and especially transforming my interest to action. I played football actively until I was 22 and ice hockey until I was 17 years old. In addition, I’ve ran two marathons under 4 hours and for instance played tennis in High School team with 25 weekly training hours.

But in High School sports were only a cool thing to do and more like a social platform. Currently in my last year at university I start to feel that sports are a must. I have been more or less sick since Christmas and I don’t really know what’s wrong. After two antibiotics, X-ray, blood tests and various medicals doctors still don’t know whether I can do sports or even what could be the reason for sickness.

Last week I finally decided to give a go and after a week of training everything seems to be well. However, this was again a reminder how important health and sports are to me. I feel that I wasn’t even worried about my illness; I was more interested in finally being able to run in a forest, swim in the pool, play badminton and attend circuit trainings. Sports have become my drug, and without the drug I have withdrawal symptoms.

These symptoms are need for more sleep, lazyness, lack of appetite and demand for more sports on television. Also postponing work and school assignments because of illness is mentally hard. I still need to do all the things after I’m healthy but just overtime besides normal weekly stuff.

Being sick is always a good break from hectic life. When you’re lying on the bed totally powerless you begin to think how an earth was I so busy just a few days ago. But I would still rather take the breaks when I want and a healthy lifestyle will hopefully help on that.

So finally it’s time to start training for the sport goal of the year: Marathon under 3:30. Often I feel that I’m too busy to practice but than I remember that our minister for foreign affairs, Alexander Stubb, ran a Helsinki Marathon in 3:31 last August during his peace negotiations between Georgia and Russia. And last Sunday he skied 45 kilometers in Pirkan Hiihto before taking a plane to Egypt. I like Alex’s efficiency.

This week I still have few projects to finish before Boomi’s (my student union) 41st anniversary gala. I have to hurry to Helsinki-Vantaa airport almost straight from the gala. That's when the adventure of 28 students to Brazil begins. More about the trip in my next post after 3 weeks.

Enjoy your day!

- Mikael

No comments:

Post a Comment